Spent this weekend (thursday night) cooped up at home up all night. Around 5am I craved dark moist chocolate cake. As no store would be open at this ungodly hour, I decided to bake myself some.
I googled for Dark chocolate cake and found a Hershey’s recepie that seemed nice and set about baking it. The cake turned out really dark and nice and moist! yummmm…….
For those of you who would like to bake it, here’s the recepie.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (though I think 1-1/2 should do)
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa or HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa (I used 1cup as i wanted my cake really dark)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt (I used just 1/2 tsp as I din’t want to increase the sodium content)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING(recipe follows) (Optional. I din’t make any as I din’t have any icing sugar at home)
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. (Cake may be left in rectangular pan, if desired.) Frost with ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING. 8 to 10 servings.
ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa or HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed). Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
Link to the original recepie :